Sunday, October 11, 2015

Lincoln's Birth Story

So I wrote Lincoln's birth story at the hospital right after he was born (I was super proud of myself about this by the way) and wanted to wait to post it until I got his birth pictures and stuff.  Well my wonderful sister-in-law just posted her baby's birth story and it reminded me that I never posted Lincoln's! (facepalm)  SO without further ado here it is!

We were scheduled to come be induced at 3 AM on February 19th, the night before the hospital called and said that they were busy and we should not come in at 3 but go ahead and sleep through the night and they will call us when they were ready.  I expected this but was still disappointed.  I didn't sleep well and kept dreaming that they never called us back and so I would call them and they would say they were crazy booked and it wasn't going to happen today or even tomorrow and we weren't going to be able to get induced till next week.  I just dreamt that scenario over and over again all night and yeah it was not a good night’s rest.  However around 5:45am the hospital called and said they were ready for us and we could come on in.  Joshua and I had to pack all our stuff very quickly as we were planning on having time that morning to pack and we had to eat quick and head over.  We got to the hospital around 6:20 and got into a room around 6:45. 




 Our nurse Lesley was wonderful!  I really loved her.  She got my IV in and Pitocin started around 7 am, she checked me and I was a tight 4 cm and about 80% effaced, -1 station. (Which was great because just 2 days before I was a 3 and 70%) Dr. Layton came in to break my water around 8 am. I had already had some good contractions that morning before heading into the hospital so with the Pitocin they started right up and it didn't feel any different than if my body was doing it on my own.  I told Lesley that I didn't want to get an epidural right away because they tend to slow down my labors.  So she got me a birthing ball to sit on and I used that when my contractions got stronger and more difficult to manage.  The contractions started to intensify around 8:30-9ish and so I got on the ball and had Joshua sit in front of me and I leaned on him and rocked side to side as the contractions came.  I told Lesley and Joshua that my goal was to make it to 6cm before I got an epidural.  The contractions started to get really intense and I started standing up during each one and leaning on Joshua, he was seriously so great during this whole process, he kept reminding me to breath and never once complained when I was squeezing his arm/leg/side as hard as I possibly could :).  A little after 10, Lesley came to check me and I was a 6!  I was so relieved because I didn't feel like I could hold out much longer. We called the anesthesiologist, (who was awesome) and he came in to give me the epidural, it took a little longer than normal because I kept feeling pinching/nerve pinches and such and he couldn't get the catheter in one of the spots for some reason.  But once it was in and the meds kicked in I was so relieved, I am so glad I had a little time to rest, relax before the pushing started. 


 Contractions are exhausting!  Right after I got the epidural Kristen arrived (our birth photographer) and we turned on the tv to watch a movie.  Lesley kept moving me from side to side with the peanut ball thingy to help me progress and kept telling me I was going to go fast.  I felt like she was checking me like every 15 minutes :).  A little before noon she checked me and I was a 9 and 100% and she said his head was really low.  She told me to push during my next contraction and when I did Lincoln turned his head and I went to a 10.  She called Dr.Layton and finished getting the room all ready.  

By now I was feeling quite a bit of the pressure and contractions in the "window" I get with every birth (a spot that the epidural doesn't effect for some reason) and wasn't loving it.  Dr. Layton arrived and we started pushing and man did it hurt.  I could feel all the pressure and stretching and pain in that one spot and it hurt, bad.  But I kept telling myself to ignore and push hard cause if I just kept doing it, it would be over soon.  I started to get nauseous because of how badly it hurt but just kept telling myself to ignore it and push harder, get him out.  The pressure and stretching got worse and worse and then his head came out and it was all gone. Immediately all the pain and pressure and stretching was gone, sweet relief is an understatement!  Think of the worst pressure/pain you have ever felt in your life X1000 and then have it all disappear in a split second and that is the relief I felt.
 This was the first birth that I really had a clear view of the baby coming out.  It was amazing!  I was able to see his beautiful face instantly and his perfect little body and then they put him in my arms and I finally got to kiss this perfect angel that I had been feeling kick and squirm for the last 9 months.  


 Lincoln Lance Wells was born at 12:15 pm after about 10 minutes of active pushing.  I didn't need any stitches at all (which is totally wonderful) and I was shocked at how quickly I recovered, even while already being sick with Bronchitis.  I think it had a lot to do with the difference in labor times. Evelyn was 15 hours, Hyrum 12 hours and Lincoln 5 hours.  Turns out a 5 hour labor is much less exhausting than a 15 hour one... Hmmm who knew!  


I also had much lighter after birth cramping which was wonderful because with Hyrum they were terrible, like worse than the birth itself and I had been told it gets worse with every baby. So I was very relieved that did not end up being the case with me.  I felt so blessed to have such a textbook, perfect birthing experience. 




 Lincoln is such a blessing to our family and we couldn’t be happier to finally meet this sweet little guy.  We love you Lincoln!

No comments:

Post a Comment