Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Air-Soft?

Yeah right! My first experience with air-soft, a game of tag with fully-automatic weapons shooting small hard plastic BBs at 350 to 460 feet per second, was great! The only thing “soft” about Air-soft is the impact it has on one’s wallet, the cost being 1/3 or even less than that of paintball. I was an avid Paintball player before my mission but Air-soft was just as if not more fun. The fun of it relies entirely upon the honesty of those involved but the pain involved in getting tagged by a bb motivates most to quickly declare they have been tagged saying “HIT!”, standing, and holding their weapon over their head with both hands. So I hope to get with a group of honest individuals to play the game often.

I went 6 and 2 my first game; i.e., I tagged 6 people and was tagged twice. Domination was the game I was tagged in, sacrificing myself to capture two of the points of domination. The first time I just dropped by weapon because I couldn’t see anything but the flag anyway, then crawled as low as possible to the flag and jumped up to pull their flag down, lifting our flag to victory. I was shot just after capturing the last point of domination so technically we had won before I was tagged so maybe I shouldn’t count it. The second attempt at capturing a domination point was unsuccessful because there were 4-5 opposing team players almost directly on the flag. I army crawled as close as I dare but knew I would be seen if I tried to crawl through the opening in the grass to the flag. So after pushing my limits of invisibility I sprinted for the flag but was tagged several times in my torso under my arm as I reached for the flag. At least two of the players cried, “surrender” because I was so close that they didn’t want to hurt me. However the one or more players, that were too surprised to call surrender, blasted me with 5-10 bbs in a fraction of a second and, unfortunately, before I could reach the flag. Playing this advanced game of tag with friends in the beautiful mountains of Utah was a great way to spend a Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment