Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Making of a Giving

I selflessly took my wife to work at 9am on a Saturday morning. She hadn’t eaten breakfast so I graciously thought to get her some Jamba Juice and something warm at the next-door harvest garden bakery. While standing in line for the juice my sister called and asked if I could drive her to a community action service project so she wouldn’t be late.

The desire to serve is in the blood, I guess. I quickly dropped what I was doing and altruistically drove my sister and her friend to their service site. After daring to risk life and limb in Provo City traffic I thought only to fulfill my previous quest to quench my beloved wife’s thirst for morning nourishment. I proceeded to press forward baring the ominous gloom preceding this nights BYU football game.

As I approached the cash register to purchase a Jamba Juice with my $10 gift card, a remnant of my wedding gifts from three months earlier, I thought of the gentlemen behind me in line. He was dressed to exercise but still “well dressed”. Obviously he was not in need but I couldn’t help myself, after purchasing my wife’s juice I good-naturedly left the remaining amount on the gift card for the gentleman behind me.

I thanked the cashier then quickly left the juice shack and after taking my time buying some freshly baked goods, came out to find the gentleman just exiting the juice shack. He threw me the keys to his new Jaguar and asked me to pay it forward. I genially accepted his gift, sold it at a near by dealership and donated all the money to the poor.

Actually the man had already left and I have now idea what he thought about my making of a giving. I did enjoy a few bits of the cinnamon role and muffin I got for my wife before dropping it off to her. Then I spent the next hour trying to get home through the ESPN game day mobs and a homecoming parade. Didn’t they realize the great things that I had just done?

No comments:

Post a Comment